Study Tips

• Idea
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • (Edited)
Study tip, when you start to feel fidgety get up and do something else or distract yourself. I find answers come quicker if I don't focus too long on the question. I study for 20 mins and play bejewelled for one go. Don't study if you have a million things to do because they distract you and become excuses.
Photo of Vikkii James

Vikkii James

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Claire Louise Brookes

Claire Louise Brookes

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
****SMART TIP***** i always make a mini picnic and place it by my study area so i am have food at hand so i dont move away from my study point and lose motivation in my studies

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Studying tip x:)_.
Photo of Mark Christian

Mark Christian

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Study tip :
With each weeks question paper, comes next weeks course work, so as soon as I have answered all the questions, I skim through the course work that has just been sent and each morning, with my coffee, I re skim the course work, until the next set of questions arrive. I find by doing this, a little more sinks in each day and I don't feel I have to 'study' as I HATE study.

Study, for those that HATE study.
Photo of Slushpuppy

Slushpuppy

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This is a great idea, however your course is clearly very different to mine - I have a few online pages which cover the entirety of my course, together with online tests.

Are you doing an offline course?
Photo of Rebecca Lucy Bath

Rebecca Lucy Bath

• 162 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Great study tip :)
Photo of Jo Swan

Jo Swan

• 54 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Great study tip Vikkii - I don't have the will power to play just one level of Bejewelled, though lol
Photo of Lisa Umm Ayesha

Lisa Umm Ayesha

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
If you find it hard to retain information, i find it can be useful to actually write down the information in bullet point form with paper and pen rather than on the computer.
Feel free to add ideas to this... :)

Study Tip :).
Photo of Jo Swan

Jo Swan

• 54 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I think it's important to remove distractions from your surroundings -when you got the TV, phone, computer, bed, magazines etc nearby, you'll be easily tempted to throw your books aside. Try to remove as many distractions away as possible. When the remote is right next to you, you're more likely to pick it up. It is the same with your phone, laptop etc. But if you have to walk all the way across the house to watch TV, chances are you'll be less likely to do it. :o)
Photo of Slushpuppy

Slushpuppy

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I tend to use a reward for a good period fo study - e.g. I can have a jaffa cake after 30 minutes of good study.

Sometimes, though, it's really not happening for me and I find it's not a good idea to struggle through if it's just not working. There's no point feeling bad about it, just come back to it when you're feeling more focussed.

I also make a weekly schedule of my commitments so that I can schedule in study time, rather than just trying to grab some time here and there. It makes it feel more structured and helps me to concentrate and focus on what I am doing.
Photo of Chris Gray

Chris Gray

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I find heading out to the local library a good place to study, no kids to distract, no housework to consider, they have free wifi, books on hand for research and you have to just get on with it. Then I have a coffee in the local cafe before heading back home having got a load of reading done. Works well for me.
Photo of Ʊ  MelissaƱ

Ʊ MelissaƱ

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Here's some study tips I find really help me, firstly use flash cards, so write a word on the front and its definition on the back, or a question or picture on the front and the answer on the back, and also use mind maps, do one using your notes first, then do another one without notes and see how much you can remember, then keep doing it until you remember all of your notes :)

Study Tips :).
Photo of Michelle Heasman

Michelle Heasman

• 39 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
My tip is that if you dont feel like studying then dont!

I personally find that if I am forcing my self to work then a) I struggle to think straight, b) I dont understand anything that im reading and c) I just dont take any of the information in.

I think its better to just walk away and come back to it later, 20 minutes of 'good' study is better than an hour of forced study :)

On the other hand I also find it easier to work with the tv on, but on a programme that you can just listen to instead of watch (My example is Jeremy Kyle) you dont have to watch it to know whats happening, but it takes the silence out of the room and stops me clock watching.

x
Photo of Jo Swan

Jo Swan

• 54 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Oh Gosh I'd be throwing things at the TV if JK was on lol! :o)
Photo of Jo Swan

Jo Swan

• 54 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Do you find the flash cards really time consuming Melissa? I always think they'll br great then talk myself out of using them! :o)
Photo of Jo Swan

Jo Swan

• 54 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Also it's important to walk away if you find yourself getting frustrated with something - give yourself a break, if only for 5 minutes then return to it and you'll hopefully find the answer was right there all along!
Photo of Aimee Eloise John

Aimee Eloise John

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I find it easier to hand write my assignments before typing them as I find it easier to concentrate

Assignments.
Photo of James Gilfoyle

James Gilfoyle

• 65 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Same Aimee! I usually hand write and then type and naturally I usually re-word the assignments and refine them :)
Photo of April Claire Thewlis

April Claire Thewlis

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I study late at night when everyone else is in bed and it's totally quiet I get on so much better without the noise of 3 children, 2 cats, a puppy and of course the hubby!!! xxxx April
Photo of Rebecca Lucy Bath

Rebecca Lucy Bath

• 162 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I study when i can, with a 3 year old its hard. lol. I find having a nice hot choc before i study makes me relaxed :)
Photo of carolanne steedman

carolanne steedman

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
A good study technique for those who find it difficult to motivate is the Pomodoro technique - google it for a more detailed explanation, but basically it is about breaking down your studying into small chunks, allowing yourself a short break then going back into another chunk - these chunks should not be huge - say 45 minutes with a 10 minute break, using a timer, it helps me, although sometimes the first chunk is a bit more difficult. I find it a useful tool. Hope it helps some others as self study can be difficult at times but when you have a bit of structure there it is helpful.

Pomodoro study technique.
Photo of mark thorson

mark thorson, Champion

• 35 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've found on my commute to an from work a read through the course material as extra time is efficient use of my time.

Coupled with Google docs I get loads done on any assignments without using time at home, which I use to study beyond the level of the course I'm studying
Eg ill read up on Med school level books and research and create my own herbal index. And do the more practical things such as make tinctures etc.

Of course it depends what your course entails, but freeing up time by using travel time is working very well for me.

Oh my commute is about 2 to 3hours a day depending on traffic!
Photo of Nicky Guy Wilson

Nicky Guy Wilson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Everyone seems to find their own way to study, so I guess it's worth trying a few different things to see what 'fits' you best...

Personally, I always try to study in complete silence when no-one is in the house, or at least away from any noise/kids/etc! I make my notes/do my research/pull together draft answers to assignment questions in one (or two or three!) session, and then actually finalise assignment answers on a different day when I'm more refreshed! I do it all in small bursts, and stop as soon as I feel tired because I know I'm not concentrating once I start to get tired.

My teenage daughter is also studying, at university, and she finds that she can only study if she gets comfy on her bed, surrounded by ALL her notes, and has music in the background to relax her!
Photo of Kim Broadley

Kim Broadley

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Turn the tele off!!