Qualifications dont count

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: discussions have had no activity for over a year

Has anyone applied for university and been told that the qualification cant be used? I have studied Anatomy & Physiology level 3 and Health & Social care level 3, and three universities have said i need to do an access course.
Photo of Jenny Myers

Jenny Myers

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of James Gilfoyle

James Gilfoyle

• 65 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Sorry to hear your having issues and that the qualifications aren't as expected. It varies from University to University and from course to course - especially when the course is not accredited by a nationally recognised awarding body.

I've always encouraged students to check outcomes with Stonebridge and with Universities concerned that the chosen course is applicable and suitable for what you want to use it for.

This is because the majority of students use the courses I think as a pathway to knowledge in order to set up their own practices or to further their careers - rather than as pathways to University.

Therefore; none of the courses carry UCAS points at the moment. I would imagine that this is a costly process and at the end of the day Stonebridge is a business. It's up to the student to check the award you receive at the end and to check with a University that it can be used towards entry requirements prior to signing up really.
Photo of Jenny Myers

Jenny Myers

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i spoke to several people at stonebridge and they told me the qualifications would be suitable, as if they told me otherwise i wouldnt of paid to do them
Photo of Stonebridge Student Support Team

Stonebridge Student Support Team, Official Rep

• 1194 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Jenny,

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy about your experience with us and we understand your frustration.

Universities will often decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not they are willing to accept our diploma as sufficient prerequisite, and we strongly recommend that students contact the admissions department of their prospective Universities to check this.

Even though our courses have not been officially put forward to UCAS for points, many of our students do use our courses for credits at a University. The reason we have not registered with UCAS is due to the fact that, as James guessed, this is a costly process, and because adult learners can use these courses to support their applications anyway, we do not see the sense in paying UCAS to grant points to the courses.

Also, on successful completion of your course, we are willing to provide you with a full transcript and letter detailing your qualification to support your application to the University. Please do let us know if you would like this documentation.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to call us at 01288 356300. Our Student Support team would be happy to help.
Photo of Jenny Myers

Jenny Myers

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
that would be great thanks
Photo of Stonebridge Student Support Team

Stonebridge Student Support Team, Official Rep

• 1194 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Jenny,

You'll need to give our Student Support team a ring to request and discuss the details of your transcript and letter. Please have your student number handy when you call. You can reach them directly at +44 (0) 1288 356300.
Photo of james oram

james oram

• 4 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Jenny,

I found that if you approach the admissions tutor at the university you wish to study with, taking details of the course (s) you are studying an application for prior and experiential learning can often be made. Of cause this is different for each university, but it certainly is worthwhile making the personal approach, as it demonstrates your commitment and interest.

Hope this helps

Jim
Photo of Shirley Lane

Shirley Lane

• 2 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I definitely think the personal approach to the tutor worked for me some time ago when I needed to jump onto a higher level qualification - I felt the first level was just repeating what I knew already so after explaining that and having a short "interview" type meeting I managed to get onto the level I wanted - I guess not all universities are the same though so it would be a challenge maybe at one of the larger ones to get onto a course this way - You don't get anything unless you try I find :-) Good luck!
Photo of Ʊ  MelissaƱ

Ʊ MelissaƱ

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Just be aware that the courses are not actual NCFE Qualifications, but courses Accredited by NCFE, so they are courses that have been reviewed by NCFE however they are not NCFE Qualifcations directly if that makes sense? I emailed NCFE about this, will see if I can find their reply.
Photo of Ʊ  MelissaƱ

Ʊ MelissaƱ

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Still worthwhile courses to do though don't get me wrong, would definately look good on a CV :-)
Photo of James Gilfoyle

James Gilfoyle

• 65 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Correct - I got in touch with them before purchasing my course.

To quote Leanne Woodhouse of NCFE on 29/09/11.

"They have been accredited with NCFE’s Investing in Quality (IIQ) Licence which is designed to give formal recognition to an organisation’s bespoke programmes that fall outside the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF). The licence is based on a number of Quality Statements which provide a quality assurance framework for the development, delivery and evaluation of their programmes. We’ve mapped the Quality Statements to a range of standards: ISO 9001, Investors in People, EFQM, The Common Inspection Framework, The Matrix Standard; and Recognising and Recording Progression and Achievement (RARPA)."
Photo of Ʊ  MelissaƱ

Ʊ MelissaƱ

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
James, this poses the question as to the actual name of the qualifcation, as in, what would one write on their CV?
Photo of James Gilfoyle

James Gilfoyle

• 65 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
They're Awards. Mine for example...

Level 4 Award Stress Management Coaching and Consultancy

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.