Parent Student Struggles

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
I am a new mother with a 8 month old son and I began my course before I even got pregnant. I absolutely love my course and I think Stonebridge is so completely fab but since he was born I am really struggling to find the motivation and time to sit and focus on my course. Does anyone else have this problem? Stonebridge suggested I start a thread so all of us mums (and dads) can support and motivate each other and maybe share tips on how to keep focussed and get motivated for studies while we have babies and children. PS...I am studying Holistic Beauty Therapy. What are you all studying?
Photo of Marcia

Marcia

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • unmotivated but excited to meet other parent students and get the motivation ball rolling!!

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Donna Jacqueline Kaye Hughes

Donna Jacqueline Kaye Hughes

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Marcia. I understand completely where you are coming from. I have not long completed my first course with stonebridge. Child psychology was mine and was only supposed to take a year. It took me 5 in total due to having now 6 and 4 year olds. It was very hard. I've just started the teaching assistant course now and really struggling to get started with it. I'm constantly ill due to stress in my life and always picking up everything off the kids. I hope u get somewhere with it soon :)
Photo of Melanie Patrick

Melanie Patrick

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Did u have to pay extra?
Photo of Marcia

Marcia

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ah thanks Donna. I have a chronic illness so i know what its like being ill as well as a family to take care of! hard work hey. every day i pick up my laptop hoping to get back to studies only to find at the end of the day i never found the time to. WELL DONE!!! for finishing your course though. I read on stonebridge facebook group "slow progress is better than no progress" how true is that?? so well done you, you did it in the end :D gives me hope i can complete one day!
Photo of Neena Dorrell

Neena Dorrell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have 2 children, one is 6 and other is 2, I am lucky cos' Alfie still has 2 hours nap after lunch. I am doing nutrition course just over year and have 3 assignments till finish. Unfortunately my dad has passed away now 5weeks ago and I cannot concentrate at all.
Photo of Charlotte Byrne

Charlotte Byrne

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Neena, it's the hardest thing when anyone passes away & I'm sure your dad going is hard. I am not surprised your finding it hard to concentrate....just try & keep positive on the course front, you have done so well to get where you are so far, so try not to be hard on yourself about not completing much over the last month or so. I'm sure you'll get back on track soon....do what you need to do. A great book I can recommend that may help you at this time is: I can heal your heart by Louise l hay she's also the author of I can heal your life....a read of this may help you to get back on track in lots of ways.
Sending Love & light from charlotte
Photo of Paula Boyce

Paula Boyce

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Marcia, I have been studying Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools level 3 for a year now and have only just finished module 4! I have two children age 13 and 8 and a full time job as a teaching assistant. I certainly know how you feel and there are plenty more of us out there in the same situation! Having a child under 1 is no easy task! Just remember that being a mum is a full time job in itself!! You can do this Marcia!! Just take small steps and remember why you started the course in the first place. You are right the college are great and very supportive!! You can do this for yourself and I wish you all the success because you will succeed! Don't worry about the time frame - sometimes we have to put ourselves first! which is not easy!! Remember small steps! pick up those books and pencil and off you go! always here for a chat or in my case a moan!! Paula xx 
Photo of Marcia

Marcia

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thank you so much Paula! so true and very encouraging :) i am sooo glad i am not the only one xx
Photo of Charlotte Byrne

Charlotte Byrne

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Marcia, I am in a similar situation too I am studying clinical nutritionist course I have managed to do 3 assignments in one year as I have a 2 & a half year old & 8 year old stepson. I have tried these tactics so far I write out a rough weekly plan of all tasks & when toddler naps I schedule in study time, going to bed in evening an hour before bedtime to do reading of study books, schedule in my hubby to have kids for a few hours on weekend so I can go study. I have challenged myself to complete one assignment a month this year. My little ones starts nursery in September so will have a couple of hours then when I will go straight to library to study at least a couple of times a week. Just keep positive that you'll get there :-) from charlotte
Photo of Marcia

Marcia

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thank you so much. thats great advice. I was thinking I should write up some kind of week plan. i have bought a family planner so i think i will write up februarys weekly plan and get prepared to start right away. :)
Photo of Helen Fairclough

Helen Fairclough

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Marcia. I am studying TA level 3 at the moment and doing volunteer work in my kids school. I started it last March and half way through but I don't know how after the year I had. Going through a very bitter separation and also jobless as I worked for my ex. I have 2 children girl 11 and boy 5. My girl has special needs and its so hard balancing everything but they both keep me going. My motivation is to get my life back on track with a job that can hopefully fit around my children. I'm loving the course but it is hard to get each module started when I'm on an emotional roller coster and in the evenings I'm just so tired I fall asleep reading. I set myself goals and deadlines and it does work. This is a good idea and we are not on our own. A good support network like this helps everybody. :-)
Photo of Marcia

Marcia

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
oh i am so so sorry for everything you are going through but you are a complete star and inspiration to still be thinking about studying and keeping that future goal in mind to keep you going. massive well done to you it must not be easy at all. and also what a great role model to your kids you are to show them that fighting spirit no matter how down you feel inside. thank you so much for your comment. we are all in the same (or similar) boat hey :) always here for a chat and support in return if you need it :)
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hiya I've recently started the ncfe level 3 I'm halfway through assignment one I have a 7 year old and a 16month old and working I do some work in the evenings but fighting to stay awake I need to work on goals and deadlines glad I am not alone. xxx
Photo of Marcia

Marcia

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ah yeh thats it i am going to do a weekly plan from now on and work out times to absolutely dedicate myself to studying, even if i have to get a babysitter!! good luck sounds like you are doing really amazing. xx