Master Herbalist Level 5

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
any students taking the master herbalist course, do you have any further reading material suggestions that you have found, which others could share, please let me know

thanks jim
Photo of james oram

james oram

• 4 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of mark thorson

mark thorson, Champion

• 35 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
my reading list for my course includes:

Herb contraindications and drug interactions (Francis Brinker ND) - very useful!

Thorsons guide to medical herbalism (saw it on amazon and with a name the same as mine just had to buy it! :) )

The ultimate guide to the curative power of natures medicines (michael castleman)

Grow your own drugs (james wong) - mainly because i enjoyed the TV show

hedgerow medicine - Julie & matthew burton-seal

the authentic herbal healer by HOLLY BELLEBUONO (google play books its 2.99!)

and many others as well as several anatomy and physiology books for nurses and med students;

how about you? any you can recommend

cheers
Photo of Richard Labaki

Richard Labaki

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would recommend the following:

'Herbal Defense' is a great book written by fitness author Royn Landis and master herbalist Karta Purkh Singh Khalsa.

'Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Healing Herbs and Spices' By John Heinerman is also interesting. The book shows how to utilize the healing properties of herbs/spices in order to reverse illnesses and heal the body.

Last but not least, 'Herbal Medicine from the Heart of the Earth' is great for professionals and students alike. Written by Sharol Tilgner, this books combines the diverse experience of the author who is a physician, a farmer and a herbal therapist.

Hope this helps.
Photo of Morgan Da Silveira Lopes

Morgan Da Silveira Lopes

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Everyone.

This concerns Assignment 7 on the Master Herbalist course.

I am seriously struggling to find references for diagrams on the root systems for various plants for this blasted assignment (I hate having to draw things. feels like Kindergarten especially since it only really repeats 4 basic root systems but I have to friggin do it 15 times.) But I want to do it accurately.

I have been to local libraries and so forth.

Please help.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Master Herbalist assignment 7 reference problem..
Photo of Gareth Griffiths

Gareth Griffiths

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello, I'm Gareth and I'm just about to start the Master Herbalist course. Just wondering if anyone has been doing this course? I'd just like to know how you've found it.

And if anyone wants to compare notes when I get going, that would be great.

Gareth

Master Herbalist anyone?.

Morgan Da Silveira Lopes

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Gareth

Here is my email address

Belerethon@gmail.com

Holler at me if you need. This course is stupidly easy.
Above you will see I asked for help, however, little did I know I was seriously overcomplicating the matter and when I found out what they were actually looking for I could hardly believe it.

Honestly, depending on what your prior knowledge of basic biology and herbalism is and your passion for the subject up to this point, you will hardly ever need to open a book to answer the questions. For a level 5 course, which is equivalent to second year university, this stuff is no more difficult than my high school biology. So I am a little upset because it hasn't really taught me anything I didn't already know, perhaps 20% - 30% of it was new to me but only because I tend to do way more research and so forth than is actually required. So far, and I am on assignment 9, I don't feel it will make me a better herbalist, I am doing it for the piece of paper that permits me to work as one at the end.

However, if you are a bit new to herbalism and this alternative health world in general, you should find it mostly interesting, though only practical use and experimentation with herbs in your own personal life will ever make you an adept at this.

Anyway. Drop me an email and I'll refer you to some great books I have in my own library for personal use.

Morgan Da Silveira Lopes

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Some of the books other guys have listed above as well are also very good.
Photo of Annabelle Abdulaty

Annabelle Abdulaty, Champion

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Just enrolled on this course over the weekend! I'm very happy to share notes, experiences, etc with fellow course mates.

Email: annabellehawes@msn.com

I took A levels in Biology and Chemistry, and completed the first year of a medical degree before switching to and completing a languages degree.

Now I'm coming back to the sciences, I am very keen to follow this programme as I'm hoping it's pitched at the right level academically for myself.

Since I haven't formally (or informally!) studied Herbal Medicine before I'm very keen to talk with the more experienced people on this board! Looking forward to the educational experience :)
Photo of Divine Blu

Divine Blu

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Annabelle
I am sure you may have completed your master herbalist course by now! How did you find it?

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hello Blu!

No, I'm still doing the course. As I'm working I can only study part-time.
I'm onto Assignment 4: Biochemistry and Chemistry now.

I find the course content fairly interesting. It's not really as challenging as I might have wished. Most of the time it feels like revision of my A level Biology and Chemistry stuff, but the focus on different plants' medicinal properties keeps me engaged. :)

I feel the only thing missing is the chance to discuss with others on the forums here or online on a Facebook-type platform to share ideas on herbs and possible future collaborations to get experience of herb-related work.

Check out my thread here: https://community.stonebridge.uk.com/stonebridgecolleges/topics/calling_all_herbalists_aromatherapis...

Are you enrolled on the Master Herbalist Diploma programme too? If you'd like any help with assignments or have any questions, feel free to ask :)

~Annabelle

(Edited)
Photo of Barbara Butler-Robinson

Barbara Butler-Robinson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Morgan, Thanks so much for your encouragement. I hope to be starting the Master Herbalist course soon Just st completing the Clinical herbalism which I don't think I really needed, as I have been reading about herbs and herbalism since I was a child. I loved 'Grow your own Drugs' and have also found David hoffmann's New Holistic Herbal very useful as well as the Herbal Drugstore which compares what the pharmaceutical world supplies for various diseases with the herbal options. David Hoffmann's advice for CFS/ME is helping my daughter to be far more active than ever before.

Morgan Da Silveira Lopes

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That's great, Herbs have helped my family, my missus and even her family. They come to see me even before they go to the doctors a lot of the time.

My missus also has CFS, What are you giving your daughter for it? I always ask as I'm keen to exchange knowledge, this way I learn what textbooks sometimes will never tell.
Photo of Barbara Butler Robinson

Barbara Butler Robinson

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Try Echinacea or Astragalus and Siberian Ginseng, this helps. 20 drops 3 x daily. I gave that to another ME sufferer and it helped a lot. Don't forget Vits B Comp for general good health, and Vit D3 if your wife does not get out in the sun very much.
Photo of Barbara Butler Robinson

Barbara Butler Robinson

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I made her a tincture of Marigold 20g, Cleavers 20g and 20g Dandelion in 600ml Apple Cider Vinegar. She also takes 1000 iu Vit D3, B comp and Cod liver oil with Calcium. Her history is : Glandular fever in April 08 that never disappeared and the doctor gave up on her in October that year telling me that it was all psychological. Which I knew it was not true at all. By the following May she agreed that it could be ME/CFS. My daughter has been at home and mostly in bed for the past five years. She is now up and coming through to the sittingroom for a few hours each day, she is more interested in her pet rabbits and plays games online. So a great improvement, which I am really thankful for. We are both currently raw foodists (get a bit naughty sometimes and have a binge on all nice things) but returning to raw fruit and veg.
To help her I scoured our old family herbal - Robinson's Herbal and all the books I could find. - I have about 30 books on herbs old and new gleaned from family and bookstores. All my life I have been helping people with remedies but never been qualified and felt inadequate as a result. I was well programmed in my youth that qualifications were paramount. This is actually nonsense but I allowed these beliefs to move me into work I never enjoyed. Now I am retired and feeling free.....!

Morgan Da Silveira Lopes

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Good good.

CFS responds very well to berries and all things red, like beets etc.. and dark greens like spinach, kale etc...

Try the following herbs and see what happens. My missus takes them herself and it makes a great improvement. Try each individually to see how they affect her then combine once you know she reacts well.

Rhodiola Rosea
Siberian Ginseng. (note this might present with an upset tummy for a while if her constitution is weak. Taking with a little something in the stomach can help if this issue presents itself) You can also use Panax Ginseng which is stronger but go easy on it.
Astragulus.
Hawthorn
Ginko Biloba.
Kelp might help with fatigue as well, people with hypothyroidism benefit form this.

Replace Cod liver Oil with Flax seed oil. Make sure its cold pressed.

Eliminate dairy.

Find herbs that support the spleen as glandular fever could have messed that up. If I am not mistaken black onion seed (also known as Nigella is good for this and is quite a tasty spice.)

She will enjoy online games and T.V. in general because it causes her brain to release serotonin. Same thing happens for some reason with animals which is why pets are often prescribed to those suffering depression, specifically kids. Try making sure she gets lots of foods with the amino acid tryptophan which is a building block for serotonin.

If possible, get her to start a gentle exercise routine like a few minutes with a pilates dvd every day. This will really help.

I hope this helps. It has worked wonders for my missus.
Photo of Michael McGrail

Michael McGrail

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Master Herbalist course.

Hi
I have just commenced the master Herbalist course and am trying to complete the assignment. I would like to ask a) the short answer questions that we have how long do the answers have to be a pargraph a page 1000 words, do you need referencing. there is not much info on completing the assigmnet or maybe I havent found it.
can anyone answert this please.
Thanks
Michael

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Michael!

Well, I completed my first assignment about 2 months ago (just trying to find the time now to complete my second!)

When I was writing all my answers I just used the information from our green course booklets. So therefore I didn't use any referencing (however I may start to with some of the questions in assignment 2!).

Length-wise I would say it depends on the question. For the ones stating products of linseed, I just listed those and so my answer was only 2-3 sentences in length. For the question asking us to describe Culpeper's life however, I used all the info we were given at various points of the green booklet and ended up writing 3 fairly long paragraphs.

I passed all the questions.

As long as you give a good, fully comprehensive answer to the question you should pass. The length is really irrelevant. For the more open questions (asking you to describe things) you may write several paragraphs. For the more closed question (asking you to state things) these can be a couple of sentences long.

Hope that helped!
Photo of Navshin Sarguroh

Navshin Sarguroh

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi My name is Navshin Sarguroh I am currently Doing Master Herbalist course aswell. Its been 3 1/2 years since I started this course, I finished my Clinical Herbalism course within a years time but I am struggling with this one. As I am running my Own Business from home as well. Some times I struggle to find some good websites to do my research has anybody has anything to recommend I am currently on the 12th assignment.  I just really want to finish this as soon as. Thanks

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hello Navshin,

I hope I can help, but in all honesty, I've been doing most of my research via books and reading of the course materials rather than using website resources.

A quick look on Google came back with several good sites though:
http://www.herbreference.com/
http://www.herbslist.net/
http://wikiherbia.com/

I hope some of those are useful. I'm still on Assignment 4 at the moment.

Is your home business connected to herbs and/or alternate healing therapies by any chance?

(Edited)
Photo of Navshin Sarguroh

Navshin Sarguroh

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you very much Annabelle for your help. Actually the home business I do is about Aloe vera based products with the company Forever Living Products. We have a wide range of health and beauty products so I think it does help with me being an herbalist.
I will definitely check those websites aswell good luck with your course too.
Photo of BeijaFlor

BeijaFlor

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Master Herbalist Course - Looking for someone to study or exchange ideas with.

Hello everyone, I do hope you enjoy your Master Herbalist course. I have just restarted my course and I am on Lesson 6. Is there anyone out there who would like to share studying, exchange ideas etc. I am Swiss and living in Switzerland and doing the study in English. 

• 34 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hello Prisca,

I have actually just completed Assignment 6 on Phytonutrients! I'm just starting on reading the next lesson, the first of about seven which involve "a lot of practical work". I'm excited to see what this will entail!

If you would like to keep in touch, my email is in an earlier post in this discussion. I also have another thread asking if anyone would be interested in a Herbalist/Aromatherapist Facebook group, if you wanted to check that out :)

~Annabelle
Photo of Pete Saville

Pete Saville

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We really need to get this facebook group going :)
Photo of Bridget Kelly O'Sheehan

Bridget Kelly O'Sheehan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Master Herbalist level 5? Assignment 2?.

Did any one receive the question paper with assignment 2 as to be honest, i can't remember if i have did or not, I thought I would ask just in case! Worse comes to worse i'll call tutor tomorrow :)
Photo of Bridget Kelly O'Sheehan

Bridget Kelly O'Sheehan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Master Herbalist level 5? Assignment 2 Question 3?.

Hi, i'm really struggling on this question as I've looked up this and came back with about 5 different plants that are either noble in some way but nothing to really shine above others. if any one can suggest a good area to locate this answer it would be much appreciated.