Anyone studying the Dressmaking & Fashion Design Course

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I would like to make friends with fellow students who are also studying the same course as me. I would love to hear from you.
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
  • excited

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
no one?
Photo of Tabernather

Tabernather

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am. Hello :)
Photo of Stephanie Ellen Healey

Stephanie Ellen Healey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hello i am doing this course 
Photo of Tabernather

Tabernather

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is the firs time i have logged onto this site... :) i didnt think there would be anyone else, as they have stopped the course now :(
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Tabernather,

They've stopped the course? That's a shame, I'm half way through it now. Though had to take it a bit slower in Module 7 due to volunteering at weekends.
Photo of Tabatha Chilcott

Tabatha Chilcott

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
They have stopped selling the course only, all out stnading ones are still ok to be marked, sorry, yeah im just starting mine, i bought the course over a year ago and have only just got round to starting it, nearly finished the first essay.
How do you find it? without having any help to hand? are you planning on taking things any further with the qualification i mean?
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I'm loving it. I signed up in July and have been studying it and doing the work whenever I had free time, after work and weekends. Lately, I've been busy with volunteering for festivals so haven't managed to do much for the last 2 weeks. I did start again today though. I have my own online craft shop at Folksy and I hope to make clothes one day too. I do struggle sometimes and find help through You Tube videos and sewing forums. Plus my boyfriend is great at understanding written instructions with diagrams, he's been a gem though all of this. I hope to graduate at the end of the year, if I keep working as I hard as I'm doing.
Photo of Beckie C

Beckie C

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just signed up for the course yesterday. :)
Photo of Tabernather

Tabernather

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh my gosh, i looked for these courses for someone else and i coultn find them any where, good luck with it, let me know how you get on? :)
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Beckie,

Hope you enjoy the course, I really am. I'm learning so much and its making me focus and work through all the bits I get stuck with. Then, when I complete my work and hand it in its like "wow" i did that and worked through it :) Great feeling of satisfaction.
Photo of Beckie C

Beckie C

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I cant wait to get started, I've been meaning to enrol on this course for a while and finally decided to just do it! Thats good that you're enjoying it, I have no idea what to expect really but I'm sure I will enjoy it too. Just waiting for it to arrive now.
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I opted for the online version but paid a bit to have all my course materials and assignments sent at once. I submit mine via their website and I normally have feedback within a day from the tutor. It is very practical with lots of 'samples' to make up. If you need any advice at all, please get in touch! I'll help you if I can.
Photo of Tabernather

Tabernather

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, how do you get any sketch work to scan in, to send it, it seems very easy and less time consuming than posting, but the sketches in pencil dont seem to scan very well to be able to send it in via the online marking system.
Thanks
And good luck with your course, although im not very far in my self, maybe we could share some ideas? Thanks
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi,

I have a 3 in one printer the HP Photosmart, it seems to scan quite well for my drawings, fabric etc. I also take photos, use a bit of editing software (GIMP, is free) for cropping and reducing the size. I did run into a problem that my final document was over 8MB and had to reduce it, under 7MB seems fine to email. You could always go over your pencil lines in black pen, which may help to pick out the lines.
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I also email all my work across. On the online marking thing, I write the date and who I emailed.
Photo of Beckie C

Beckie C

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi guys. I have just received my welcome pack and first assignments. I was just wondering how to send in assignments for marking? I dont know if its because I'm tired but somethings are not making sense to me..I dont have much computer access as mine is broken (great timing). also it says about a test paper but I dont have one amongst my paper work. I'm guessing there is supposed to be one?

argh sorry if I sound dumb
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Beckie,

As I received all my workbooks and test papers all at once mine arrived altogether. I think you need to contact Stonebrige and ask them about your test paper. If you send in by post,make sure you get proof of posting in case it gets lost.

I hope you get your PC fixed, in later modules more research needs to be done in some areas of study and the Internet is very useful for this. You will reach a few assignments that are more theory based, but there isn't that much to do, mainly is all practical.
Photo of Beckie C

Beckie C

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks , I contacted Stonebridge and they emailed me over the papers. I was just wondering how long you give yourself to do one assignment?, I've just started this week ,evenings only at the moment but I'm not sure on how long I should be spending on each one to progress at a good rate, what with me having to wait for the next assignment to arrive in the post as well.

I think I will have to get my pc going as I think I will submit my work online if its easy to do so? I've got a scanner just no computer..
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Beckie,

I work in the daytime until 4.30pm. I found the first few modules quite easy to do, so I spent a few evenings doing bits and then more at the weekends. Since reaching module 6 when things are very sewing related I slowed down and spent a bit longer. On average I have been completing 1 module each week. Now I'm on Module 8 after just starting in July, a lot of sewing terms and techniques I have to research in more detail, read up through my sewing books and learn all this new stuff. I do get frustrated and annoyed with myself. In the long run, when I look back at my work just before submitting I can see how far I have come. I feel this unit will take me a couple of weeks to complete.

Its very easy to submit online, make sure your file is less then 7MB, I have to zip file mine sometimes to reduce the size, email your contact at Stonebridge and then wait for your results, usually the same day. Its worth it, a lot quicker.
Photo of Beckie C

Beckie C

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hiya
I just finished module 1 assignments and sent it through the online thing. Just got to wait for the next part to arrive now. Got my computer going even if its a bit slow.
Thanks for the help/advice much appreciated :)
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Anytime good luck :) If you need anything else let me know.
Photo of EviI

EviI

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah..... am doing this course and its kinda interesting...
Photo of EviI

EviI

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The test paper comes with the questions and you are to input the answers into the test paper..... I has this challenge and had to call them and the explained it to me..
Photo of Iman Justice

Iman Justice

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have started this course in July and I have now done my final assignment, I'm just waiting for it to be marked , they said it might take up to 10 days for marking so I really hope I get a reply of my final grade before the xmas hoilday so that I receive my qualifications in january 2013.

I will be applying for a fashion foundation degree through ucas so I hope this course helps me get in my chosen course, I have other experience too such as working in fashion retail companies such as River Island.

My advice for anyone starting this course is they should know how to sew and have a sewing machine because unlike all the other courses, this course require you to sewing and draw, it's creative, you also need to take pictures of your work if you are going an online course so that they see your creative work. This course is hard for people who are unable to sew because there isn't any teacher hear you to help with the sewing........

Its an interesting course and it needs commitment like any other course. You have to have the interest to make garments not just love fashion otherwise this course is not for you.

I hope my advice helps......
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I really enjoyed the course, and I graduated from it with distinction in November.
Photo of Hazel

Hazel

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've just enrolled - how you getting on?
Photo of Elpitha Efthimiadou

Elpitha Efthimiadou

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
hello , im going to enroll for this course next month , can anyone recommend to me things i should buy / have such as stationary , materials etc

Elpitha Efthimiadou

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I finally enrolled the other day and have already started making a folder as assignment 1a asks however im going to ring up tomorrow and ask about the writing part do i need to write lots or just a summary. If anyone is on this course please let me know ! xo
Photo of dawn

dawn

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi there I think am having the same problem how many fashion samples drawings should I do and I think I will have to copy them before I send them off as I don't think you can upload some online . Help
(Edited)

Elpitha Efthimiadou

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
hi dawn !!! i did around 6 drawings and covered a page for each fashion trend !
Photo of dawn

dawn

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Done some drawings sample colours most of my measurements. Did you upload online or post them off . Thanks Dawn
Photo of Sally Buckley

Sally Buckley

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi, I enrolled on the course Last month and have done assignment 1a and 1b. I took a whole scrapbook of fashion tends but im unsure of how to send the final assignment in. would I have to take pictures of every page of the assignments to upload it and send it via email or would it be best to send it off?? im very puzzled. any ideas x
Photo of Sally Buckley

Sally Buckley

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi, I enrolled on the course Last month and have done assignment 1a and 1b. I took a whole scrapbook of fashion tends but im unsure of how to send the final assignment in. would I have to take pictures of every page of the assignments to upload it and send it via email or would it be best to send it off?? im very puzzled. any ideas x
Photo of Stephanie Ellen Healey

Stephanie Ellen Healey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi i just enrolled, still cant see any online work, and obviously got to wait for my exra paper copy x 
Photo of dawn

dawn

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Hi has anyone enrolled in fashion design course 2013.

Only on first assignment and not sure how many fashion and drawings should be in my first test paper.
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I submitted 5 drawings on mine. I ended up graduating with a distinction at the end of the course.
Photo of Kate Lewis

Kate Lewis

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Dressmaking & Fashion Design - 1st Assignment.

Looking for other people that are studying or have studied this course and how they submitted their scrapbook for Assignment 1.
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Kate, I completed this course last year. I submitted everything online directly by email. I did the scrapbook using Mircosoft Word and PDF's it when I sent it across to Stonebridge for marking.
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Whoops correction, I used Power Point as my format for the scrap book. 
I did 5 drawings for mine,  one piece, trouser outfit and a couple of coordinates. Hope this helps.
Photo of AbiC

AbiC, Champion

• 163 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
If you need any more help, just ask :)
Photo of Kate Lewis

Kate Lewis

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello, Thanks for your reply. I was really confused about that one. I went and bought an actual scrapbook but have been worrying about the submission so I guess I can just scan the pages in and send them like that as PDF? I am excited to get started :) It's nice to have people to chat to that have done the course. Did you enjoy it? :)
Photo of sumani

sumani

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
are you still doing the course or you have have completed, i for one have just started
Photo of Lovely Ellen

Lovely Ellen

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I started in august family commitments and my job means I haven't submitted anything yet :(
Photo of sumani

sumani

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i am having the same problem and i ve realized that if i keep having excuses i will never complete this course. We need  to try even if it means completing a small part of the assignment at a time i guess that is the main challenge of raising a family and school at the same time. i will try and share some ideas
Photo of ioanna kotsoni

ioanna kotsoni

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello! 
I've just enrolled to this course but haven't started yet because I cannot pay (capital controls in my country), I need to speak to the college to find how can I pay so I can access the course, that's why I have some questions. I have enrolled the "paper based" course. Will I receive my diploma by post or just as a pdf document? At "qualifications" says that I will receive 2 types of certificate: a diploma and a certificate of achievement. Can I use these two in my cv? What's the difference between those two certificates? 
Also, I haven't draw any fashion piece before (actually I did, but it was really really really ugly), will I learn how to draw? 

Thank you!
Photo of kay

kay

• 26 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi I have completed assignment 1 and started assignment 2 bit confused though if all the details will be on the sewing patterns so I need to purchase 5 patterns so if anyone can help I be pleased x