Access to Higher Education Diploma (Medicine and Healthcare Professions) Discussion University Application, Help & Assignments Etc.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
Here is just a page for people to put their worries and questions on here as have started as this year.
A lot of people have worries and problems so wanted this as out there for people to see and comment on their own opinions.
Personally just about to start Unit 1 and everything seems fine with tutors responding in normal time and the interface has been easy and good.

I have made some connections on there as well to talk to other people doing the same course.
I checked with the HE website to check on this course and it accredited and Universities (at least in the North West Area)  Have accepted Doctors and alike using this course when I asked
Hope everyone else enjoys their time!
Photo of Steven Johnson

Steven Johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Excited

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Sarah Johnson

Sarah Johnson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Steven, I am doing the same course :) Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment Im on unit 2 and in all honesty havent got a clue lol !!
Photo of Steven Johnson

Steven Johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hurray for both of us ! Pretty sure you are top of the leaderboard on there ! :) 
Yes just going through it googled a Swot and hoping I have a main idea of it....not heard back from my first unit yet either to be honest ! Thankfully this isn't graded this unit 
Photo of 23 sparkes ariana Evora

23 sparkes ariana Evora

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Steven how are you? I just started today the same course as you and iam bit confuse I would like yo know how you doing amd and how you find? Thanks
Photo of Prabhkirat Singh

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
is anyone thinking of applying for medicine or have so
Photo of nechama sinitsky

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hello there Prabhkirat, 

Yes, i applied this past october for medicine A100 at four different unis, i am very lucky and received two conditional offers and three interviews. 

I am most likely going to be able to fufill at least one of the offers!! i am very excited. 

If there is anything you want to know post here and i will do my best to answer your questions. But if you are doing this course as a top up for A levels as you didnt get the grades needed for medicine you will be denied straight away. 
below is a list of all the UK medical schools which accept this particular access course. i emailed them all to double clarify. 

ACCEPT MY ACCESS COURSE =

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs only one merit no passes. Ucat. But not cares in what distinctions are where probs because all but 1 must be at d.

https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/medicine-mbbs/entry-criteria  st georges London, accept with 30 at d and 15 at m, or as many as poss as such. In London, states on website as long as I get min entry requirements, you get an interview,  ucat 500 and above per section . 45 pure science related credits graded at Distinction or Merit. Biology and Chemistry credits must be graded at Distinction

.  MMI process.

https://kmms.canterbury.ac.uk/contact.aspx accepts this access course see below- UCAT - MMIs

Applicants who have studied an Access to Medicine programme will be considered for entry. We will accept a minimum of 45 credits at level 3 with 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at Merit. Applicants should achieve 15 credits in Chemistry or Biology with at least 12 graded level-3 credits at Distinction

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/medicine/mb-medicine/ 30 at d rest at m 2, ucat. MMI

only clinical placement in year 3, first two are lecture based. Hmmmmmm.......but 1, 2 and 3  focus heavily on self directed study.

Replies and said that they accept any access course, Pass Access to HE Diploma (Life Science, Medicine or Science) with at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at Merit, including 15 credits in each of Chemistry and either Biology, Physics or Mathematics, with at least 12 graded level 3 credits in each at Distinction.

https://le.ac.uk/courses/medicine-mbchb/2020 d at all leicester, , ucat band 4 on sjt not considered

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm5_a100.page?#entry_requirements%0A____________________

must be all at d

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/#alternative-entry-requirements all d in units,  ucat, sjt no low then band 4,

UNIS THAT EITHER SAID NO OR ARE QUESTIONABLE AT BEST FOR ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery   , emailed, got a response  Will look at application only if I take GAMSAT, why should I do that if it means more work without a guaranteed place, runs in sept and march. So if really necc go for march 2020. AVOID.

Phone University of Nottingham on +44 (0) 115 951 5559. To find out if they will accept get in writing if they do. EMAILED THEM . SAID NO!!!

https://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/medicine 30 at d rest at m 1 hour by car ucat no cut off but sjt no lower then band 4. So can get 5 units with merits.....3x5.

years 1,2, and 3 are SIP so covered blocks of systems, then in 4 and 5 PIP so some PBL and clinical placements and teaching assistant roles. Also throughout the 5 get Student SC. Combination of assessments per year. Objective structured clinical exams, online and anatomy spot examinations. MMI process no cut off value for ucat.  Could look at an internal transfer from medical sci or biomed sci after year 1 into year 1 of their MBChB which is 5, making it 6

will only accept an internal transfer from med sci or biomed sci. .

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/357809/Admissions-Policy-for-Undergraduate-Programmes-in-Medicine-2019-20.pdf yep, case to case circumstance, doesn’t say what d or m needed. don’t accept unless do a foundation year in health and sciences. NO

yrs 1 and 2 = case based learning, small groups. 3 and 4 clinical time and patient exposure. Yr 5 active role with clinical teams. Throughout you get SSCs  (want you to do 6 year programme so prefer to do 5 year)  MMI = Ucat as well

LOW OPTION

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So I have done previous A levels. Does that mean i will not get into medicine with this course.

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi, what A levels and when? and how old are you now? If you are a mature student it doenst matter. If you arent and dont have a degree and want to use this to "top up" your A levels then it wont work. You need to have 1 of 4 things for unis to accept u into medicine
1) The right A levels at the right grades
2) mitigating circumstances as to why u didnt do A levels or didnt get the right grades and therefore did an access course instead (requires proof)
3) approved and appropriate degree
4) mature student without degree or any hjgher education looking to go to uni for the first time they will allow with an access course

But like i said, if you have A levels and didnt get the right grades or the right ones theb pretty much your only option is to do a bio med degree or chem degree (look on med skl websites to see what degrees they accept) and go from there.
Another thing is, is that you wouldn't be able to apply for this up coming academic year even if you did manage to finish the course on time. This is because you need to do the UCAT (RESEARCH) and the application deadline for medicine is always the academic oct 15th the year before.

Lmk if you have any other questions

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No I'm thinking of applying for next year. It's just I've been out of school for nearly two years and I have been working in the NHS for the those two years. And just a question how do u know they dont accept candidates. Sorry I just have a lot of questions

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ask away ask away.
I know all this because i had to leave school bc of mitigating circumstances and thought i would never be able to do medicine and then i had a mentor who pushed me to research every sing medical skl in the ul and some abroad and see what they did and didnt allow or accept. I made word documents to keep a track of what each one did or didnt allow and emailed each asking them just so i had proof in case they said no.

Its reslly great you have been working in the NHS for the past two years that will definitely help you. And if my maths is right that would mean at the time of the course starting you will be considered a mature student which is what unis allow access courses for.

I would say at this point research what uni you want to go to, email them explaining that you will be 21 without the right A levels but want to take access course and not a degree and it will be ur first time for higher education and then they will let you know in writing if they will accept. Also many medixal skls have a foundation year for people like you as well or their own internal procedure for getting onto their acvess course.

I am more than happy to help you out with any more questions
Nechama

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you so much. Yes I will be 21 next year. I'm hoping to do medicine and so I decided to get some experience working as a theatre support worker in the NHS.

Thanks a lot. Your advice means a lot.

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My absolute pleasure. I really wish you all the best and hope you get in. If you need any more help with anything please lmk and i will do my best

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. It made things clear. I did applied science as an A level and didn't do so well. So started working in the NHS. Now I decided to the access course. Also. What grades did u get from unis and have u sat the UCAT exam.

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi,
The grades for my conditional offer from Manchester is distinctions in all units. St georges are bit more lenient and there offer is distinctions in all bio and chem units and if needed merits in physics units. Preferably all distinctions in all.

Yes, you have to do the UCAT befrore you can even do the application for medicine on UCAS and the score u get in it will also inform you what unis you should apply for.
As in, some unis want ur ucat to be overall the average regardless of the individual categories (st georges) whilst others want your score in each category to be the average. You need to research what uni wants what.

And start practicing now.

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This has been so clear and you have been so clear. Also what about your gcse. Did that come into consideration.

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
GCSEs do come into consideration, again you need high A'* and A as many as possible. I. E majority A and A* B are acceptable but not for the najotity. But i think for a mature student they would only look at your latest qualifications so for you your access course. At this point if i were you i would research and then email each uni asking them in writing what they would want of you specifically and see what happens.

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
U have been so helpful. Thank you. Hope you have an amazing career

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks so much! I hope you get into med school!! And really slay! If you need anything else lmk and i will do my best.
Photo of shabaz haider

shabaz haider

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello nechama, I had some questions and was wondering if you can help me

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Would love to try and help. What are your questions?
Photo of shabaz haider

shabaz haider

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you have an email or something I can get help on?
Photo of Sally 'Mustang' Farmer

Sally 'Mustang' Farmer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hi both! I have started this not long ago and I am just finishing assingment 6. I wanted to see if there was anywhere online that students can actually talk to each other. Is this what people use or is there a facebook group or anything?
Photo of Steven Johnson

Steven Johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You must be tanning the assignments then ! I recently changed internet provider and it's completely slowed me down actually so just finished assignment 5 actually. As far as I am aware there isn't as people get other commitments and trail off and you only seem to find a small group that carry on with it ! 
I have Sarah on my connections though on the Pearl web page and keep up to date with her on that really :)
Photo of Miriam Sanger

Miriam Sanger

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi, just wondering how you are all doing on your courses? trying to do this course really quickly, so that can still get into uni for September so working really intensely. anyone free to help with advice on the units. find myself getting stuck on the assignment requirements...been a while since i was in school
Photo of Karlie Chadwick

Karlie Chadwick

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi I’m also the same I want to get it done as soon as possible so I have a fighting chance for uni. Iv just had my unit 2 sent back I need to amend Q1 but loosing the will to live. Can anyone help? Please
Photo of keely frettsome

keely frettsome

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi! I’ve just recently started this course and I’m already struggling!

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Need help?

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hiya,
I am currently a month into the course and up to unit 7 assignment, would be happy to help out. 
Photo of Jenny Motin

Jenny Motin

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nechama, I'm struggling on Unit 2, any advice?

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sure, what questions on unit 2? because q1 and q2 are smooth sailing as you are bound to know what your strengths and weaknesses are then just relate that to a theory in q2. For q3 is really personal and you shouldnt be afraid to write down what you do for yourself to keep going, strengths vs weaknesses and how you handle them and any problems you can forsee, this can be something has had happened before or something that tou anticipate based on what students generally deal with (timing issues) and how would you personally solve that. For question 4 i would recommend using kolbs learning cycle as stated on the guidance and finding one other theory to discuss, keep it simple. What is the inherent premise of the theory? How does it compare with Kolbs? How is it the same? How is it different? Which one do you like better? Why? 
Photo of tash_l_p

tash_l_p

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nechama, 
I am currently on Unit 5 and find that i'm not sticking to each section but interlinking them unintentionally. How did you find Unit 5? any ideas on how you set yours out to not randomly change from one section to the other or does that not matter? 
Natasha 

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Natasha. 
Personally for me i didnt change the sections i just changed the parts of each section  around to make it flow better. for example, for section one i first wrote about common characteristics of cells, then wrote about prokaryotic, then wrote up all on Eukaryotas AND THEN compared and contrasted the two. 

from there on the sections all then flow well, it is just the first that needs a little moving around.

I hope that helps you. If not message me again and we will work it out. 

Have a great day
Nechama

nechama sinitsky

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Oh, and on the part of interlinking them, i headed each part of my essay according to what that paragraph was about: i.e common characteristics of living cells..then wrote about that, then made a new heading prokaryotic cells and wrote about that etc etc, along the way i would find myself adding in maybe one to two lines linking ideas up from previous paragraphs, but i would really say stick to how the assignment material is giving you in terms of layout , and try not to interlink too much as it will take up too much word limits. 

Prabhkirat Singh

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi steven. i am thinking of applying for medicine and if you are how are you doing. have u finished te course and applied for uni